‘Tis a good morning when you start your day with chocolatey goodness. This deliciously crunchy granola is the stuff dreams are made of and it’s not cause for nutritional alarm like lots of store-bought cereals are. Made with whole grains, natural sweeteners, nuts & super foods, you can be sure you’re hitting the ground running with nutritious fuel. The bitterness of the cacao perfectly balances the natural sweetness of the dates & honey & the coconut flavour subtly creeps in for that bounty-esque touch. A sure-fire hit for the whole family…
4 cups of rolled oats
1 cup of coconut threads
1/3 cup of coconut oil
½ cup of honey
1 tablespoon of vanilla essence
¼ cup of cacao powder
1 cup of chopped dates
1 cup of slivered almonds
½ teaspoon of sea salt
¼ cup of cacao nibs (optional, they’re a bit like chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to fan bake 160°. In a large baking tray, mix oats, coconut & salt. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine oil, honey, & cacao powder. Bring to a gentle boil & remove immediately from heat. Stir in vanilla.
- Drizzle syrup over oat mixture; toss with a wooden spoon until oat mixture is fully coated.
- Bake, stirring occasionally, until golden (about 20 – 25 minutes).
- Remove from oven & mix in almonds, dates & cacao nibs. Let granola cool completely before storing in an airtight container.
- Serve with banana, coconut or natural yoghurt & milk of choice.
Nutritional Bite: Cacao – choca-packed with antioxidants, magnesium & ‘bliss’ nutrients that can help keep you energised, healthy & happy. Cacao can also increase the levels of serotonin your brain produces, through the release of certain neurotransmitters. This is beneficial if you’ve been feeling down & depressed, a condition that can come with lower levels of serotonin. Start your day on a happy note!
Find out more about the benefits of Cacao here.