I’m not sure about your neck of the woods, but in mine, lemon season has been going off! There’s nothing quite like the juiciness and sweetness of vibrant backyard lemons. Their supermarket cousins truly pale in comparison! This vegan and gluten-free slice takes full advantage of their natural sweetness. Of course, you can switch out the dairy-free sweetened condensed milk for normal sweetened condensed milk if you like, but I love the coconut version as it adds to the overall flavour and no one would be none the wiser that this slice was vegan!
80 g of dairy-free butter (I used the Naturli brand, available from most supermarkets)
¾ cup coconut sweetened condensed milk (available from most supermarkets)
275g gluten-free arrowroot biscuits
1 cup of desiccated coconut
Lemon juice and zest from one medium-sized lemon
2 ¾ cups of icing sugar
80 g of room temperature dairy-free butter
4 tablespoons of lemon juice
2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut
- Line a rectangular slice tin with baking paper
- Crush the biscuits and place the crumbs into a bowl with the coconut, and grated lemon rind. Mix.
- Add melted “butter”, coconut condensed milk, and the lemon juice. Mix together until well combined.
- Press into the prepared tin, and place in the freezer while you prepare the icing.
- Whisk the icing sugar, “butter”, and lemon juice together. If the icing is too thick, add more lemon juice, and if too thin, add more icing sugar.
- Remove the slice from the freezer and pour the icing over.
- Return to the freezer until set.
- Depending on the texture you like, store in the fridge or freezer. I personally think it is best straight from the freezer!
Nutrition Bite: Mother Nature knows best. Lemons are the perfect winter fruit…absolutely packed with immune-supporting Vitamin C! Vitamin C also helps the body to absorb iron and helps with wound healing...among many other benefits! Whether you zest them, use their juice for dressings, make tea, or bake (or in this case, no bake!) with their juice…lemons are the main squeeze when it comes to nature’s winter wellness wonders.