What is a sore throat?
There isn’t just one cause when it comes to a sore throat. Around 90% are caused by viral infections such as the common cold or flu andusually get better by themselves, within a week or so (remember antibiotics do not fix viral sore throats). But sometimes it can be a bacterial infection, most commonly Streptococcus, often known as ‘strep throat’. 1
Symptoms may include:
- A painful or scratchy throat, especially when you swallow
- Difficulty swallowing
- Redness at the back of your mouth
- Cold and flu symptoms such as a cough, hoarseness, red eyes and runny nose (usually not seen with strep throat)
- The glands in your neck are swollen
- Your tonsils are large and covered in white stuff
For a mild to moderate sore throat
Try saltwater gargles, increasing your liquid intake or sucking on ice cubes. You should also avoid smoking or smoky areas and try to rest as much as you can.*
Relieving a severe sore throat
When you have a sore, swollen throat causing you pain, you can try a non-prescription throat spray or lozenge. We recommend you use Strepfen Intensive Lozenges.
A sore throat is commonly caused by inflammation and these hard-working lozenges don’t just numb your throat, they relieve your sore throat thanks to an anti-inflammatory analgesic (or painkiller) called Flurbiprofen, which relieves painful swelling and tenderness of the throat.
All you need to do is suck on a Strepfen Intensive Lozenge to help relieve your sore throat for up to four hours.
The Benefits of a Strepfen Intensive Lozenge
- Contains Flurbiprofen, an anti-inflammatory ingredient that helps relieve painful swelling and tenderness of the throat
- Long-lasting relief for up to four hours
- Honey and lemon flavoured
Strepfen Intensive Lozenges are now available in a larger 32-pack and are only available at your pharmacy.